Sunday, September 12, 2010

Anberlin - Dark Is The Way, Light Is A Place (2010)

I've had people tell me how much they like Anberlin and how I should listen to them because they are so good and I finally caved when they released New Surrender in 2008.  I must admit, I enjoyed what I heard on that album so when I heard they would have a new album out this year I was intrigued yet again.  The new album started out rocking with tracks like "We Owe This To Ourselves" and "Impossible".  As the CD progressed, it became clear to me that this album was their push towards hitting true mainstream success and having their songs played heavily on the radio.  I wasn't a huge fan of that factor.  The album comes packed with some acoustic ballads that teeter on the edge of emo.  My goal now is to go through the band's back catalogue as they had 3 other albums before New Surrender in the hopes of better understanding their progression.  Upon reading some other reviews, the general consensus seems to be that the album requires a second listening in order to truly appreciate the music.  Perhaps upon a second listening some of these songs will grow on me a bit more.

www.myspace.com/anberlin

No comments:

Post a Comment