Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Serj Tankian - Imperfect Harmonies (2010)

When Serj Tankian stated in an interview that his next album would be less metal-based, I kind of scoffed and thought there was no way he could veer from that.  Then when I heard Elect The Dead Symphony whereas Tankian played tracks from his debut album Elect The Dead while backed by a symphony orchestra I started believing it a bit more.  After listening to Imperfect Harmonies I'm quite underwhelmed.  Serj Tankian was the singer for metal band System Of A Down before they went on hiatus in 2006.  As I'm still waiting for the day for the band to return I eagerly anticipate every release/side-project that any of the former band members unveil (i.e. Daron Malakian and John Dolmayan's band Scars On Broadway).  When I saw the album had finally made its way to the internet, I jumped on it.  All I can say is, I don't really know what Serj was thinking.  Some of this is fairly difficult to listen to.  There are times where his already nasally voice was rough but he sings notes on this album that pierce your eardrums and at such a pitch that it is irritating.  Worst of all I doubt very much he can hit any of those notes live.  The album barely features any guitar and a lot more piano than normal (seeing as Serj is a piano player himself).  I think the live album he released with the symphony gave him a new direction to head on in order to really stray from the System Of A Down sound.  The closest thing we get to even sounding like System Of A Down or even remotely sounding like something from Serj's first album is in the form of the piano-driven song "Gate 21".  While the three other members of System enjoy getting together from time to time to play, Serj seems content to distance himself from any kind of a reunion.  This album lacks direction as it jumps from sound to sound and genre to genre; Serj can't seem to pick just one!  System Of A Down is long overdue for a reunion and new material.  They were better songwriters as a band.  Let's get it back together fellas so we can get some better music out of you!

www.myspace.com/serjtankian

No comments:

Post a Comment